4.22.2013

Life of a tennis player

Aloha!
 
I love being a missionary.  This week was great.  We have 6 new investigators and they all sort of just fell into our laps.  We have been practicing getting better at saying the restoration in just over 5 minutes.  I am realizing the importance of teaching simply.  I am trying to get my teaching to the point of a 5 year old understanding, I think that is the best!  Often times people ask really difficult questions like "where do you go if you do this or that or what happens in this unique situation?" Sometimes I'm honestly not sure how to answer ALL of the questions we are asked, but I am learning from my new companion Sister Hunsaker the value of just bearing a simple but powerful testimony.  Anytime anyone asks us an outlandish question she always answers with the fact that God is our loving Heavenly Father and that he knows us.  What matters most is that we do our best to be with him again, everything else will take care of by itself.
 
I love being a missionary and am finding so much joy in just inviting.  Our mission president, President Budge, always says that our success is based upon our commitment, not necessarily the end result.  Of course we want people to be baptized, but people have their agency and we can only control what we do.  We can control how many people we invite everyday to come unto Christ. 
 
One thing I have learned a lot about on the mission is how to overcome fear.  I don't want to be afraid of anything, not even death.  I spent a lot of time thinking how to get over fear, and I heard that sometimes the only way out of a problem or a fear is through it.  Pray and just do it!  This week I was feeling a little fear because someone had stopped taking lessons from us and we went to her house this week and asked her if we could teach her again and what it was that stopped her from learning.  I felt a little fear because I didn't know how to bring up the fact that she dropped us, but I just said a little prayer in my heart and Heavenly Father provided a way.  I know that he hears our quiet prayers and we were able to teach this sweet woman Chiyaki-san again and teach her how to pray.  It is true if we never commit people or ask them to do anything we are only a cool girl.  I am so grateful for the atonement. Through Jesus Christ's love, Heavenly Father gives us all a personal invitation to change and improve.  I love that!  I want to work hard every day of my mission and be bold.  I feel so tired at the end of the day lately but somehow I feel just excited to get out and learn and meet people all over again.
 
 Kentaro received the Holy Ghost yesterday.  He seemed just so happy!  His father is a tennis instructor so he invited us to play tennis.  We took a few of the athletic ward members with us and I think everyone had a good time. Seriously I have never felt so athletic until my mission.  It is the best!  Kentaro single-handedly defeated us all!  He was on his own team and was super jozu!
 
Well I don't have too much more time but just know that I am happy and loving my life over here. I love you all and am so grateful for everything!
 
Love Marni


No comments: